"Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy." Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More communication problem examples

AKA: "I went on a different bus."

ME: "Did you go on a different bus to the pumpkin patch?"

AKA: "Noooooo! Not 'to'...'the'! DON'T say that!"

----

(reading a book about a construction site)

ME: "See there are men on the roof with hammers and nails and--"

(she interrupts to say)

AKA: "Mommies aren't someone. Daddy's are someone but mommies aren't someone."

----

Other various phrases I'm not allowed to say:

"Oh yeah?"

"What will we/they/you/he/she do?"

AKA response to these: "Don't say that! Mommie's don't say that! Not like that! Say sorry!"

----

Yes, AKA can talk, so most people we know don't think she's on the spectrum. However, she only wants to talk if she's doing all the talking. Go ahead and try to join the conversation. Oh--oops!--I said, "go ahead," another no-no on the list of "Mommies don't say that."

So, I'm sorry early childhood education experts, parenting magazines, and Hallmark greeting cards--you won't find many moments that are precious, enriching, educational or otherwise here.

No comments:

Post a Comment