"Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy." Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sedated ABR

Awhile back I casually asked for a hearing test, and what we got was the full knock out sedated ABR. Good grief. Such a big ordeal and stressful (more on me than AKA) when she has no history of known hearing loss, i.e., didn't fail newborn hearing test (I say didn't fail because I was out of it from the c-section so no recall of it), passed half-ass pre-k hearing eval (and half-ass because she wouldn't allow the headphones so maybe they just clapped near her head to see if she jumped?), etc. However, I am wondering why she can sleep through 4th of July bombing of our neighborhood but freaks out at public toilets flushing, and faint sounds, and can't understand half of the spoken words she hears? Well, the results of the ABR were that she has great hearing. So, it's a processing thing, not actual hearing loss. Good to know, but not sure it was worth the ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment