"Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy." Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First trip

AKA had her first trip away from home this month. Just a one hour flight. And just for 3 days. Baby steps here.

She liked the plane ride. She also seemed to accept (did not completely freak out) the absence of our rigid routines while we were away from home. The best part was that she understood we were away from home and could not return on a whim. My biggest fear was that 2 hours after arriving she would begin to chant, "time to go home!" for the next 71 hours until the return flight. But to my surprise, she was able to connect the two facts: we rode on a plane; we are now someplace else away from home. I was afraid she might not connect the two.

She demonstrated some pretty bad behavior overall, but only a couple meltdowns. One of which was during boarding for the return flight when the attendant scanned AKA's boarding pass and cheerily said to her, "Have a great flight, Mia!"

Of course the poor woman got blasted in the face with, "I. AM. NOT. MIA!!!!" I was less concerned with the staring and spectacle of it, and just relieved we were not detained for security reasons while they verified AKA's identity to make sure I was not bringing a small terrorist aboard. The TSA probably would not be understanding of our ongoing identity crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment