"Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy." Ms. Frizzle, The Magic School Bus

Sunday, July 3, 2011

"don't say WHAT"; I will not be ignored--anymore

Apparently I'm not allowed to say "what" or "what did you say" or anything of the sort. AKA doesn't seem to understand that means, "I didn't hear or understand what you said, please say it again." She won't repeat what she said so I can hear it, or hear it better (she is hard to understand in the first place even without background noise), which is ironic since she'll spend the whole day repeating her favorite scripts, or a new one for the day based on something someone said in the morning, which I have to then hear the rest of the day, week, month or year. Instead, when I lose my head in the moment and say, "What?" or "What did you say?", I cringe because I know what's coming: "DON'T. SAY. WHAT!!!!" Then, if circumstances or  my daily sanity reserve allow, I have to explain to her it's not nice to tell people what to say and it's okay if people say "what" because that means they want to hear what she said. I cringe again, because inevitably, I said "people" once or twice in the explanation, and I know what's coming, "NO PEOPLE!!! I. AM. NOT. A. PEOPLE!!! I don't LIKE people!!!"

In other news, AKA's newly acquired speech communication skills have coincided with close scrutiny and ceaseless commentary on my activities. I can't chuckle aloud to myself over something, leave a drinking cup out of place, change my earrings, pull on my hair in frustration, etc. without critique and questions. Gone are the days where, as long as I remained within arms reach, I was completely ignored as a person, but seen only as a dispenser of need fulfillment. Now, I live in a fish bowl.

On a completely unrelated side note, hamburgers do not come out of a bag of hamburger buns as hamburgers. And who am I say that a hamburger bun and ketchup is not actually a "hamburger" and is not marketable as a breakfast item.

No comments:

Post a Comment